Creator of Composite Diamond Coating®
Surface Technology, Inc. is the creator and technical leader of CDC - Composite Diamond Coating®, an exceptionally engineered coating of electroless nickel with fine diamond. The synergy of these materials makes CDC an exceptionally hard and wear resistant coating. CDC conforms to even the most complex geometries and is an excellent replacement for chrome plating. STI makes CDC available via coating services from its production facility as well as chemical products sold directly, through a network of distributors, and by agreement with licensees worldwide.
NiSlip™ 20 is a composite electroless nickel coating comprising ultra-fine, boron nitride particles. This combination makes a synergistic coating with an exceptionally low coefficient of friction as well as all of the inherent properties of electroless nickel. NiSlip™ 20 includes the NiSlip™ 25 and NiSlip™ 21 versions.
- NiSlip™ 25 has been used for decades in countless applications and industries
- NiSlip™ 21 provides all the same benefits, but is made without lead and cadmium to be compliant with ROHS, ELV, WEEE, and other regulations.
Composite electroless nickel coatings with PTFE (such as NiSlip™ 20 ) have long been available and are widely used, but do not always provide optimal wear resistance and lubricity. This is due to the fact that PTFE is relatively soft and cannot withstand high temperatures. By contrast, the boron nitride particles used in NiSlip™ 20 are significantly harder than PTFE and can withstand temperatures above 850°C. This tolerance for heat allows the NiSlip™ 25 coating to be heat-treated to achieve maximum hardness, as is a standard post treatment for most electroless nickel coatings.
The unique properties and benefits of NiSlip™ 20 include:
- A coefficient of friction of 0.1
- Exceptional hardness of about 750 HVN
- Outstanding corrosion resistance
- Less damage to parts or materials in contact with treated parts
- Elimination of liquid lubricants
- Excellent release properties
- High temperature resistance
NiSlip™ 20 has received a positive review from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Department of Health and Human Services. Click here for details.
Parts that can benefit from the coating’s many outstanding properties can be made from common inexpensive metals and alloys. It can be applied to either the entire surface of these parts or onto selected critical areas. Since the process is electroless, NiSlip™ 20 conforms perfectly to even the most complex geometries. It is, therefore, an ideal replacement for chromium coatings that are environmentally hazardous to produce and require tedious grinding and polishing to achieve the desired uniformity.
Typical Deposit Properties:
|Coefficient of Static Friction
|Coefficient of Dynamic Friction
|Boron Nitride Content
||1-4% by wt.
|o as plated
|o heat treated @ 350°C for 1 hr.
|Salt Spray (ASTM-B-117)
||0.5-0.8 mil per hour
From the plater’s perspective, NiSlip™ 20 has numerous significant benefits in use. The two most important being:
- A plating bath with a rate of 0.0008 – 0.001” per hour instead of the 0.0003” inherent in electroless nickel-PTFE systems
- A bath life more than double that of typical electroless nickel-PTFE baths, allowing greater productivity, economy and less waste treatment
The NiSlip™ 20 technology is available from STI:
- As a coating service from STI’s production facility onto your parts, and
- In chemical products from STI for customers to use in their own facilities. Click this link for further information on these chemical products - NiSlip™ 20 Chemical Solutions
These chemical components are formulated for maximum reliability, convenience, and economy; and are backed up by STI’s first hand practical knowledge of their operation. May be covered by one or more of the following United States Patents No. 4,997,686, 5,145,517, 5,300,330, 5,863,616, 6,306,466, 7,744,685 and 8,147,601.
NiSlip™ is a trademark of Surface Technology, Inc.